What a Man, What A Mighty Good Man!


My husband is an exceptional guy; a compassionate husband and father, a dedicated Soldier in the US Army, he is creative, energetic. The best word I can think of is "doting", but even that is an enormous understatement. He makes me feel like the Queen of our castle every single day. Today was a really really REALLY SPECIAL DAY! Let's back up though. A couple weeks ago he stopped coming to bed at night. He was working feverishly on a video for a Military Spouses Appreciation Contest here at Fort Hood. He was moping around the house grumbling about "the software" and "the technology" and "his lack of ideas" and then his "too many ideas".... I offered to help, I even suggested that we make a collaborative video, but in the end I let him work through the night and I went to bed, alone. Submission day came and went without much fanfare. In the midst of caring for our two sons and the slew of tasks we have to get ready for our move, I didn't even see the finished video. We drove down to Austin last night for some bedroom furniture shopping. On the way home we got a call on my cell phone, it was 10pm, and it was Sgt "X" calling to see if I would be attending the Military Spouses Event the following morning. "As it turned out your husband entered a video in your honor and it has been chosen as one of the top five videos." This is so typical My Army Life, finding out about events the night before or hours before, having no childcare, having no RSVP and therefore doing the "walk of shame" into the event: "oh hi, my name is Karyn, I have no RSVP but I'd love to eat your food and collect fabulous free goodies and by the way, can someone watch my kids so they don't ruin everything for the other 150 Mothers and Spouses in attendance today?" So this morning I wake up thinking that I will take the kids and pop over to the event to see what other people entered and snag some yummy chocolate and strawberries. I should have seen the red flag go up when they were able to get my children into the childcare room even though it was full, a huge apology to anyone who RSVP'd and had to BEG to get their child a spot in the facility! The folks at the Fort Hood MWR really went above and beyond to create a LOVELY event for all who attended. There was delicious food and coffee and a fountain of chocolate, yum! and handmade photo bracelets and other gifts and door prizes for everyone. Just to attend was a prize in itself, as is any two hour block where I get to sit and chat with adults and someone else watches my kiddos ;)
So, the big moment arrived, they were going to announce the winner of the "Exotic Dream Vacation"- and it was a little confusing because the microphone was not working well and I was sitting in the back of the room and they were supposed to show us the finalists videos, and the website wasn't working so they could not and they announced "The Winner IS:" and then it was someone else's name. People started talking and clapping for her and then I could hear the woman stumbling over my last name as a "second winner". So I'm wondering if I should stand and nod my head, "gee, thanks for second place, cool" or if I have to go up front. And then this second big check, like those Sweepstakes checks, appears, for a SECOND VACATION!! I quickly realized that I had won a trip to MEXICO! Amazing, I am still out of breath and shaking a little, I mean, holy smokes, this is a fantastic way to kick off your weekend! I am sure that with Mexico as my motivation, this next move is going to be a breeze! (To my Mother and Father: Swine Flu won't last forever, the trip is good for the next year, um, would you be so gracious as to fly out to Arizona to love upon my children for 4 days and 3 nights while I jet off to an all inclusive adult resort with my amazingly gifted and loving husband?!)

The Prize is a 4day/3night stay at Tucancun Beach, Mexico. CLICK HERE to see the resort!
To See The Video my husband submitted, click HERE:

To See His Competition, click HERE:

4 comments:

Melissa G said... at May 8, 2009 at 3:33 PM

First of all how awesome of your husband to do that video! And second, Congratulations on your win!!!! That's so great! You totally deserve it!

Julie Rivera said... at May 9, 2009 at 5:33 AM

I am misty eyed! And it isn't even 8 am yet. Gosh, thanks, Karyn!!! How awesome for your husband to create such an ode to you and for it to be rewarded with a magnificent vacation! Congratulations!

Holly said... at May 10, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Awww, what a sweetheart. You hit the jackpot with this one!

Lauren said... at May 12, 2009 at 4:02 PM

How wonderful and well deserved, Karyn! Tell that husband of yours what a guy he is for seeing the project through to completion. I'm sure you will have a fabulous time!!