Fort Huachuca Redeployment Photos HERE!




My heart was a lump in my throat for these families before I even set foot in Barnes Field House. When I had planned to photograph these soldiers arriving home from Afghanistan they were supposed to get in right around dinner time. Text message after text message alerted me to their later arrival times. Finally I set my alarm for 2:30am and headed to bed figuring they would arrive later than sooner. I've been in the shoes of these husbands and wives, waiting on eggshells for the plane to land, waiting and fidgeting as we received word that they were finally boarding the buses at the airfield. It is nearly impossible to wrangle the babies and toddlers, half asleep in their footie jammies, barely understanding the enormity of "daddy coming home"!
And so it was, around 3:15 in the morning that they finally filed into the field house, exhausted from their travels, excited to kiss their spouse, hug their parents or children, meet their newborn for the first time. It was a privilege to wander the floor and capture a few of these moments. I wish I could have gotten an image for every single, totally deserving, family there. I've posted some of my favorites here in this blog, to see the rest and save them for your own scrapbook, please click on the link HERE to access a Shutterfly album of your redeployment. May God bless you and keep you safe during this time of readjustment and reintegration, and heartfelt thanks for your service to this awesome country!






2 comments:

Julie Rivera said... at March 30, 2011 at 4:00 AM

I don't know how anyone could look at these pictures and not feel the tears well up! Even though I have done it myself three times, it is powerful each and every time! Great, great job, Karyn!!

Shannon said... at April 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Beautifully captured. Priceless. At Matt's Homecoming I saw so many opportunities for photographs but surrendered my camera to a girlfriend to capture my special moment.